Types of hosting services
A hosting solution suggests saving and/or sharing particular content on a web hosting server handled by a hosting supplier. There are different groups of hosting services used for various aims, so let's study them. Doing so, you can elect what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to build a web portal, email mailbox accounts, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a solution offered by some file storage providers, which permits you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting services are often supported by exhibiting advertisements by the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a certain spell of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a totally inappropriate interpretation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would distribute the tasks at hand between different bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various site hosting services (mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a variety of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given corporations provide a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting type is appropriate if you would like to share a great quantity of pictures with friends or colleagues since the solution is commonly free. You will receive a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution dedicated to managing your e-mail address accounts. Some corporations offer web page hosting solutions for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you wish to possess an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a site, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can open mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video creates a given amount of CPU load, so with a few video files and several hundred website visitors, you may have a hard time with your web space hosting reserves. Embedding the video will permit you to utilize as many videos as you want to without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to have a web site. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforesaid hosting brands since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can set up databases and e-mails, upload video clips, and so on. At Hosterati, for example, you can take a gaze at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting plans that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single place. There may be limits based on the form of hosting solution that you've selected - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the usual email/file/video/image hosting plans that are purposed for particular content only.